Monday, April 19, 2010

Log Cabin Love & Links

Hello out there in bloggyland! My name is Kellie and this is my first post on the Seams to Me Hopkins County Blog. I am so excited to have stumbled upon this great group of like-minded ladies who share my love of sewing! Lately, I've fallen in love with quilting and thought I'd share a tiny bit of that love with you today, via the log cabin quilt.

I love quilts in general, but I admit I have a thing for log cabin quilts.


When I see a log cabin quilt I imagine a pioneer woman traveling west in a covered wagon, saving scraps of clothing and bits of cloth brought from home or salvaged along the way to make a quilt for her family as a reminder of their long journey. I can also picture a group of women in the church basement, sitting around the quilting frame swapping stories and occasionally stopping to sample a baked good or three. I'll sometimes think of a child snuggling under Grandma's old log cabin quilt listening to family stories of days gone by. The log cabin quilt is friendly, cozy, and hearkens to a simpler, slower time. Nostalgic...that's the feeling I get from a log cabin quilt.

However, to say that this pattern is simply nostalgic and old fashioned would be an incomplete description. Log cabins can also be modern, funky and exciting! These are quilts that move and groove, that pop with unexpected colors, that make you stop, take a closer look, and say "Whoa"! They're touchy-feely works of art. Even many of those cozy vintage log cabins have a certain modern vibe. All this from a quilt design that's been around since Ancient Egyptian times!

Just in case you aren't in love with the log cabin block by now(and I'll bet you are) here's the kicker, it's a relatively easy block to make! No points, no triangles or wacky shapes, just a square surrounded by rectangles! Even the most novice of quilters, can accomplish this one! Additionally, the log cabin is a bona fide scrap buster. If that hasn't convinced you to whip up some log cabin blocks, think of this: the humble log cabin block can be set in a bazillion different ways! OK, I exaggerate a little...perhaps not a bazillion. But trust me, this is a versatile block!

There's the love...now for the linkage...
  • You can read about the history of the log cabin here.
  • Ready to see the possibilities and get inspired to make your own log cabin quilt? Check out the Log Cabin Pool over on Flicker...and be prepared to drool.
  • OK, so you're inspired but don't know where to start? Check out these super simple instructions for making a traditional log cabin block.
  • There's another log cabin tutorial here.
  • My personal favorite is the wonky-scrappy log cabin. Modern and playful with little or no math necessary, it's got all the right moves! Here's a wonky log cabin tutorial by the uber talented Jacquie at Tallgrass Prairie Studios. Take a while to nose around this blog. Her quilts are amazing!
  • There is another wonderful tutorial on Flickr for the wonky-scrappy log cabin. Here's a peek at a few of my wonky-scrappy blocks using this tute.
There you have it...a little love and a little linking! Please share your favorite quilt blocks & patterns. If you become inspired to start a log cabin quilt, let us know!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Log Cabin has always been my favorite, too. Great article! Danna 8-)

Post a Comment