Monday, May 10, 2010

Nine Patch, Interrupted!

Here's a quick and dirty demonstration for making a variation on the fractured nine patch, which is one of many variations on the traditional nine patch. This particular nine patch has been not only fractured, but interrupted by a wonky little strip of fabric!

I thought I would share the process for making this block since they are quick, easy, and loads of fun! You're gonna want to make lots of these! Perhaps enough for a quilt?

Start with a plain old 9 patch. I'd say any size block would do, The individual blocks used in this photo started out at 4in.This is going to scare you, but trust me, it will be OK......SLICE IT! Make your slice somewhat wonky.Next, sew a 1.25 inch wide strip to join them back together. Make sure the strip is long enough to fit the length of your block.
Turn and SLICE IT again...in a wonky manner, of course.
Again, add another 1.25 inch wide strip to rejoin....VoilĂ ! A wonderfully wonky and interesting variation on an old favorite.**I wish I could claim this awesome block idea as my own, but the instructions & this gorgeous fabric came to me via Studio890. and the Fresh Comfort II virtual quilting bee we are participating in**

3 comments:

C. Michele said...

Love it! Thanks Kellie! I might continue the 9 patch theme and link a Disappearing Nine Patch tutorial.

Kellie said...

You're welcome! This is just one more thing on my list of projects. Was hard to send them off, even though they didn't belong to me in the first place! ;) Great idea to continue the theme!

Tracy said...

That would be awesome to do, with the interrupting fabric being the same throughout the entire piece.

Post a Comment